New tools are shifting the balance of power and democratizing high-quality content.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C. Clarke
The One Percent Rule of Internet culture goes something like this: 1% of users in any given community actively create new content, while the other 99% only view it. But on the new social-mobile Web, everyone is a creator.
The early wave of standalone social apps focused on unpacking core features (Facebook Messenger, LinkedIn Connected, etc), but are essentially the same user experience, albeit in more robust, dedicated mini-platforms. Now, as mobile interfaces and software become increasingly more sophisticated and user-friendly, everyday users are creating polished content rather than merely consuming it.
Instagram’s Hyperlapse app is a perfect example of this burgeoning trend, placing prosumer digital tools in the hands of anyone with a smartphone. “What was once only possible with a Steadicam or a $15,000 tracking rig is now possible on your iPhone, for free.”
“The neat thing is how quickly an amateur can produce cool things with the app,“ wrote . “For people who like to be creative — or just shoot lots of smartphone videos — Hyperlapse is a fun and free new outlet.”
What used to take a bunch of expensive equipment, lots of time, and years of expertise is now distilled into a point, a click, and few taps of a small screen.